Sunday, July 09, 2006

IKEA - Ravenea Rivularis - Customer Service

Last weekend we went to IKEA to buy new sheets for the newly finished guest room and our bed. Those of you who have shopped at IKEA probably know that it's not the best place to go to if you are susceptible to the impulse buying bug! What else would explain why we left with more than our intended purchases and paying $200+? It's like going to COSTCO for just toilet paper, right?

I believe I've mentioned that one of David's obsessions is palms. We know have 5 in the ground in the front of the house and at least 19 or so in pots along the side and in the backyard. No matter where we go David points out palms and spouts out their Latin names. Or he plays my favorite guessing game, "Let me test you. Do you know the name of that palm over there?" I was being facetious when I said that I like the guessing game. I actually am bad with names, especially when it comes to Latin. But David loves to play the game with me. The subject of the guessing game can be Band Names from the 70's and 80's (Who's singing this song?), Palms, Movie Lines, etc. I usually try 2 guesses before I scream, "I DON'T KNOW tell me!"

So there we were in the basement bazaar of IKEA (which should be called "Impulse Buyers' Heaven") looking for the sheets when David spied a potted Majestic Palm or Ravenea Rivularis. It was only $14.00! How could we pass it up?

IKEA doesn't sell potting soil and David wanted to get the palm planted in the 2nd bedroom that evening. Thank goodness Longs Garden Center is open 24 hours -- a horticulturist's dream. Going to Longs is an experience. The store is gigantic and looks like it was built in the 70s. The Garden Center has a great variety of plants and garden supplies most of which are sold at good prices.

We were at Longs, if memory serves me correctly, at about 8:00 p.m. on July 3rd. The Garden Center's registers were closed leaving the Customer Service registers as the next closest to buy the potting soil. Ms. Longs Customer Service was not exuding a very happy demeanor. She was poised beyond the register with elbow on the counter and her head leaning on her hand She was clearly not happy working the evening of a Holiday weekend. David was blissful with anticipation of a palm entering the house and was not paying attention to Ms. Longs Customer Service. After about 5 minutes into the transaction Ms. Longs Customer Service blurts out, still with the side of her face propped up against her hand, "What's your screen say?" This was her subtle way to get David's attention to the card reader screen and not the conversation he was having with me.

Now that's customer service for ya.

Here's a picture of the Palm in our newly finished 2nd bedroom.

Ravenea Rivularis

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pic of the lovely Trixie!!! The room looks wonderful - the rug, the new futon and the wall color are perfect!

I have played David's 'guess the palm' game with no more success than you had.

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, I too remember 'Guess the Palm'!!! The room, btw, looks terrific, and Trixie looks dahling!

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, looks like a pic from a Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel catalog. :)

$14 for the palm? Oy, don't tell Liz! :)

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes... I remember the "Guess the Palm" game. I don't recall if I ever answered with an initial guess or if I changed the subject.

The wacky trivia thing with movies and music is hereditary. I could probably just say a single (somewhat obscure) line from a (somewhat obscure) movie and David would be able to complete the scene.

"You're Abe Frohman, the sausage king of Chicago?"

Yes, it must be genetic.

BTW, the room and the pup are both eye candy.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Tallguy said...

Well, of course, that palm is the perfect plant for that corner. David knows what he is doing. You'd better keep him.

10:30 PM  
Blogger StickLena =KnitLena said...

Is the Palm still looking so fresh? I have long ago given up on them. Mine always ended up with leaves having dry brownish egdes...seems my flat has too dry air or somethings else is wrong. Therefor I always feel a bit of envy when I see that others succeed with palms...

8:53 AM  
Blogger JynuineMothering said...

My husband just grabbed a bunch from Ikea here, in PDX, yesterday. By the way-from what Ive been reading, stay away from buying the coconut palms- they are high maintenence and for most people it's virtually impossible to keep them alive inside.

I'm looking to transplant them into pots but I really have no clue what sort of soil they need!

Here are ours- the measly one in the lower left is one from last year that hasn't been happy at all. Overwatering maybe? Not sure... the others are from Ikea yesterday-

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs190.snc1/6374_123337901210_555951210_3371933_2564762_n.jpg

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home